If you think your car has been damaged by the weather, take it to the Berryhill auto care experts at Same Day for a checkup.
Spring has arrived and so has the height of storm season with the potential for rain, wind, hail, tornadoes and the like. While a lot of attention is paid to preparing for storms, less is said about the aftermath, especially when it comes to rain and the damage water can do to your car.
As the nonprofit Car Care Council points out, water damage can occur even though your vehicle may not have been flooded or completely covered in water. The council recommends that motorists follow these guidelines to check for damage due to water intrusion or contamination:
- Check interior carpets, upholstery and door and trim panels for dampness. If they are wet, then the vehicle will need professional attention. If you simply let the carpet dry, it will quickly grow mildew and give off nasty odors. Seat brackets, motors and modules should also be checked for rust and proper operation.
- Pull the engine oil and transmission fluid dipsticks and differential plug. If the fluid appears milky, diluted, is no longer its original color or is beige in color, then it is likely the pans contain water. The vehicle should be towed to your certified technician or repair shop. Driving the vehicle with water present may damage the internal parts and require extensive overhaul or repairs. The council reminds motorists that some new synthetic differential fluids may appear to be milky but are not water contaminated. When in doubt, a professional automotive technician should make the evaluation.
- Check the air filter for water. If it is wet, replace the air filter and change the oil.
- Check the undercarriage, bumpers, radiator area and frame for mud, grass, dirt, debris and rust. If any of these are present, the vehicle should be washed and cleaned as soon as possible.
- Have the brake system checked by a professional automotive technician.
- Check the exterior lights for moisture and water. Replace headlights and bulbs that contain water.
- Listen for abnormal noises while the engine is running. Make a note of where the noise is coming from and take the vehicle to a professional automotive technician as soon as possible. Pay particular attention to the alternator, serpentine belt, starter, power steering unit, air conditioner and wheel bearings.
- Inspect the suspension joints and lubricate as necessary. Many newer vehicles are lubricated at the factory for life; however, these joints should be checked for rust.
“It all comes down to how much water the vehicle took in and where it reached,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. “By being car care aware and following these simple guidelines, you can help minimize the potential for damage to your vehicle.”
If you’re looking for a reliable Berryhill auto care specialist to check your car for water damage – or for any other Berryhill auto care or auto repair chore – look no further than the Berryhill auto care technicians at Same Day Auto Repair.
Same Day is an AAA-approved auto repair facility. Same Day is the No. 1 AAA-approved auto repair service center in Oklahoma and has been for years. AAA members get a 10 percent discount on labor.
Same Day is the trusted locally owned service center for Tulsa auto care and auto repairs. Same Day has six conveniently located Tulsa auto care and auto repair centers to help you - Berryhill, Sheridan, Bixby, Sand Springs, Claremore. and Southern Hills. For the best local Tulsa auto care and auto repair, call Same Day. Call today.
Don't worry about affordability. Ask about Same Day's preferred customer payment options.
That's right, Same Day is now offering payment options - with credit or no credit - with payments starting as low as $40. The program is available for both car repairs and tires.
It's easy. Just talk with your Car Guy at the location you prefer and have them walk you through the three-minute process to get you set up or click JOIN HERE next to your preferred location. They can explain the program in detail and show what options are available. They can also help you find the best program to fit your circumstances.
TULSA AUTO CARE | BERRYHILL AUTO CARE | BIXBY AUTO CARE | SAND SPRINGS AUTO CARE | CLAREMORE AUTO CARE | SAME DAY AUTO REPAIR
#TulsaAutoCare #BerryhillAutoCare #BixbyAutoCare #SandSpringsAutoCare #ClaremoreAutoCare #SameDayAutoRepair