May 26th, 2016
At one time, there were only a couple of choices for motor oil. Today, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for quite some time. Here's a quick breakdown of what you need to consider when it's time for an oil change:
- Viscosity: Viscosity is how thick your oil is, and how it retains its pour properties at various temperatures. In this respect, synthetic oil is far superior. Conventional oils will thicken in cold weather and thin out when very hot, while the viscosity of synthetic is much more uniform. Check your owner's manual -- many newer models require a thinner, lower-viscosity oil, which also helps the engine run more efficiently. Viscosity is expressed as a numerical value -- the lower the number, the thinner the oil. Many are designed to work a ...[more]
Tags: car maintenance, engine maintenance, auto service, preventative maintenance, oil change, oil change service, oil changes, high mileage engine, high mileage car
February 11th, 2016
Differential Service – Why Is It Important?
Of all the various things on a vehicle that need regular service and maintenance, the differential is too often neglected. But what exactly is it, and what does it do?
Visualize a rear-wheel-drive vehicle making a right-hand turn. As the car turns to the right, the left rear wheel will have to actually cover a longer distance and spin at a different speed than the right wheel. If the rear axle was delivering the same torque to both wheels, the left rear wheel would be binding and skittering as it made the turn. The differential is designed to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds around corners, eliminating that problem.
January 14th, 2016
Some people love winter. They love the snow, the snap in the air, the short days and cozy nights at home. Others can’t stand it, for many of the same reasons. Regardless of whether you love it or hate it, though, chances are you’re going to have to get out and drive in it at some point. We’ve got a few suggestions to help you through the winter safely:
• Make sure you’ve got a well-maintained car. This includes fresh windshield wipers, proper tire inflation, a strong battery, a properly-maintained cooling system and a fresh oil change. If your tires aren’t up to the job of winter driving, you might consider switching to winter tires for a while – just
Tags: drivers safety, auto repair, winter tires, snow tires, preventative maintenance, winter auto repair, winter car service
November 26th, 2015
Where did this year go? Before you know it, it’s going to be time for the holidays, and that can mean travel in some pretty trying conditions (and we don’t just mean restless kids in the back seat). Is your vehicle ready for some interstate miles?
• Tires: It’s a good idea to have your tires rotated every 5,000-7,000 miles to ensure even wear. With that in mind, it’s easy to just schedule a tire rotation with every oil change, since the vehicle will be up in the air on a lube rack anyway. Have you checked your inflation lately? Your proper
inflation levels will be on a sticker on the driver’s side ...[more]
Tags: tires, drivers safety, oil change, driving safety, tire pressure, auto service, preventative maintenance, winter auto repair, winter car service, holiday travel
October 15th, 2015
The days are getting shorter, there’s a snap in the air, and before you know it, the winter months are going to be upon us. Is your vehicle ready?
• Wipers: Even the best windshield wipers are only good for about a year; normal wear, the sun’s UV rays and the elements take their toll on them. Get a good look and check them for chunks, strips or chips missing, and replace if necessary for a streak-free field of vision in wet weather. Hint: a fresh application of
Rain-X on your windshield and window glass can help visibility greatly.
• Brakes: Are you hearing any squeaks, squeals or ...[more]
Tags: driving safety, auto service, car repair, car battery, preventative maintenance, winter auto repair, brakes
driving safety auto service car repair car battery preventative maintenance winter auto repair brakes tires tire repair flat tires winter tires replacing tires all season tires snow tires drivers safety oil change tire pressure winter car service holiday travel gas mileage Fuel Economy tread depth tread wear auto repair wheel alignment tire rotation tire inflation tire car maintenance mechanic mechanics auto mechanics auto repair services auto services auto repair service automotive repair automotive repair services auto mechanic auto repair mechanics driver safety safe tires tire maintenance tire technology mileage high mileage engine new tires truck tires car tires truck tire repair car tire repair mpg fuel economy tire recycling engine maintenance oil change service oil changes high mileage car flat tire repair safe driving tips ac repair air conditioning service coolant fluids tire store tips tripletred tires passenger tires tire center